James R. Howie
Jim’s practice is devoted to litigation, principally in the areas of personal injury litigation, insurance claims and medical malpractice, on behalf of victims.
Jim helps clients deal with disasters that have come into their lives. When it comes to making sure that they are properly compensated for their injuries and able to manage the quality of their lives moving forward, Jim takes a hard-nosed approach to his cases. He has tried these cases and appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court and the Ontario Court of Appeal, as well as various tribunals, including the Financial Services Commission of Ontario.
Jim has both chaired and lectured frequently for various personal injury programmes put on by a number of legal professional associations, and has held leadership roles in several prominent lawyer and medical-legal organizations. He is a Past President of the Toronto Lawyers Association, a Past Director of The Advocates Society, and is a current Member of Council of the Medico‑Legal Society of Toronto. He has also presented and written for Canadian Defence Lawyers, Lexpert®, Insight and others, and has lectured frequently on auto insurance at Osgoode Hall Law School.
Jim has been recognized and qualified as an expert in personal injury law by the Ontario Superior Court. He has been, for many years, continually named to the list of “Best Lawyers in Canada,” “Lexpert® Directory of Legal Experts” and the National Post’s List of Best Lawyers in Canada.
Jim founded the St. Michael’s Hospital Head Injury Clinic annual Charity Golf Tournament, and has served numerous times as the tournament’s Chairman. Each year, it raises more than $100,000 to benefit the Clinic. He also served for two years on the non-profit Brain Injury Association of Toronto as a Director.
- Opoku, Sarpong v. Coseco Insurance Co., 49 O.R. (3d) 97 (C.A.) (Ontario Court of Appeal 2000)
- Meandro and Pilot Insurance Company, FSCO Appeal P-004433 (1997)
- Alfred and Allstate/State Farm, FSCO Appeal P96-00015 (1997)
- Cole and Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, FSCO A96-000394 (1997)
- Adabi Ghomi and Allstate Insurance Company of Canada and Wellington Insurance Company, FSCO Appeal P96-00065 (1997)
Settlements and Verdicts
Client Reunion Videos
- Rory: A horrific car accident left Rory a quadriplegic with severe brain injuries. Unable to care for himself, his family wanted Rory to live at home. Jim engineered a settlement that achieved that with round-the-clock care. Their touching reunion (video).
- Amy: After a bad motorcycle accident, Amy lost much of the mobility in her left leg. Jim fought to make it possible for her to avoid Canada’s cold winters and get her lifestyle back. Their touching reunion (video).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Advocates’ Society, Former Director, Current Member, 1985 – Present
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto, Council Member, 2000 – Present
- American Association for Justice, Current Member, 1984 – Present
- The Toronto Lawyer’s Association, (Past President, 2002), 2002 – Present
- Brain Injury Association of Toronto, Former Director, 1992 – 1994
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA), Member
Allegations of Falling Concrete from West End Bridge (video): Jim speaks to City News about the dangers from older bridges after client is hit by falling concrete, City News, January 4, 2017.
- Changes to Statutory Accident Benefits, The Disability Channel, January 27, 2017
- Updated Catastrophic Impairment Criteria, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, June 2, 2016
- Accident Benefits Spring Symposium, Canadian Defense Lawyers, April 28, 2016
- Understanding Case Law, Insurance Institute of Ontario, February 25, 2016
- Diagnosing Traumatic Brain Injury, Osgoode Professional Development Continuing Legal Education Conference, April 2015
- Building Your Network and Professional Reputation Amongst Your Peers, Ontario Bar Association, November 13, 2013
- Top 10 Mistakes You Should Not Make in Your First Few Years of Practice, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, September 25, 2013
- Why Does My Head Hurt? Acquired Brain Injury Litigation and Medicine, May 1, 2013
- Qualification of Family Doctor (in Chief / Direct Examination) by Plaintiff Lawyer, Co-presenter, Canadian Defence Lawyers, March 30, 2012
- Accessing Funding for Medical Rehabilitation, Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP Accident Benefits Seminar, March 29, 2012
- How an Injury May be Deemed to be Catastrophic, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, September 27, 2011
- Recent Trends in Personal Injury, Ontario Trial Lawyers Conference, May 26, 2011
- Pet Peeves and Problem Areas, Professionally Speaking, Canadian Defence Lawyers 3rd Annual Accident Benefits Joint Plaintiff and Defence Seminar, April, 2011
- It’s Raining CATS and Dogs, Medico-Legal Society of Toronto, February 22, 2011
- Insurance Law Update: Changes in Motor Vehicle Law after September 1, 2010, Toronto Lawyers Association Nutshell Program, December 7, 2010
- Bring Us Your Problem Cases, Canadian Defence Lawyers, November 1, 2010
- Accident Benefits: How to Win Your AB Case from Start to Finish, Canadian Defence Lawyers, April 15, 2010
- Lecturer, Insurance Law to Law Students, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2004 – 2009
- American Truck Drivers Involved in Accidents in Ontario, HSH Blog, November 2017
- HSH Partners Recommended By Their Peers in Lexpert, HSH Blog, May 2017
- Some Severe Injuries Resulting From Car Accidents and The Importance of Accident Benefits, HSH Blog, April 2017
- Car Accident Prevention Tips: Safety Features To Look For When Buying a New Car, HSH Blog, February 2017
- Personal Injury on Municipal Property: Does The City Value Your Safety?, HSH Blog, January 2017
- Cycling Accidents Without Insurance, Who Pays?, HSH Blog, December 2016
- Cycling Hand Signals And Other Tips For Drivers, HSH Blog, November 2016
- Car Accident Prevention Tips: Five Inspections To Keep Your Vehicle Road Ready, HSH Blog, November 2016
- Cycling Safety Tips and Hand Signals For Cyclists, HSH Blog, November 21, 2016
- Pedestrian Safety: Accidents and Fatalities – Walk The Line, HSH Blog, July 2016
- Ten Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make in Your First Five Years of Law Practice, HSH Blog, April 2016
- Medical Expert Evidence – What’s Old, What’s New, The Lawyers Weekly, Vol. 17, No. 33, 1998
- Brain Injury Society of Toronto, Board of Directors
- The Advocates Society, Board of Directors
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto, Member of Council
- Out of the Rough Golf Tournament in support of the St. Michael’s Head Injury Clinic, Chair, 2013
- Called to the Ontario Bar, 1980
- LLB, Queen’s University, Faculty of Law, 1978
- BA (Honors: Deans List) University of Western Ontario, 1975
Honors and Awards
- Certified as a Specialist in Civil Litigation, by The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Qualified Expert on Personal Injury Law, Ontario Superior Court
- Listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory as “Consistently Recommended” (1997-2015) and “Most Frequently Recommended” (2016) in Personal Injury Law.
- National Post’s list of best personal injury lawyers in Canada every year since the list’s inception
- Annual List: The Best Lawyers in Canada, Personal Injury Category, 2007 – 2014